Earlier today, we reported that Prince Philip, the 99 year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth, had passed away at Windsor Castle this morning. Now, sources are saying that the Queen is absolutely “heartbroken” over the death of her beloved husband of 73 years.

A source told US Weekly that the Queen personally called each of her four children – Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Andrew – on Friday morning to notify them about the death of their father. She is said to be “heartbroken” over Philip’s death, and her grandsons Prince William and Prince Harry are reportedly “devastated.”

“Prince Philip had been in poor health recently, but the loss was still a surprise,” the insider added.

As “funeral arrangements are already being put into place,” the Queen is hoping that her grandson Harry will make the trip to the United Kingdom for Philip’s funeral from his new home in California, where he has been living for the past year with his wife Meghan Markle and their 1 year-old son Archie.

“The queen wants Harry to be there,” the insider explained of the funeral. “Harry is hopeful that he’ll be able to return home to honor his grandfather, who he had a close bond with.”

The source went on to say that because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Philip’s funeral will likely “be small,” adding that there will be “only a select few” in attendance.

Will you join President Trump's new social platform when it comes out?

It is unlikely that Meghan will be joining Harry for the trip, given the fact that she is pregnant with their second child, a daughter. Meghan recently said that she called the Queen personally back in February to check in after it was reported that Philip had been hospitalized.

“I just picked up the phone and I called the Queen just to check in. I just called, that’s what we do,” she told Oprah Winfrey in her tell-all interview last month.

Harry and Meghan have paid tribute to Philip in the wake of his death in a brief statement on their Archewell Foundation website.

“In Loving Memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1921-2021,” the dedication reads. “Thank you for your service…you will be greatly missed.”

This piece was written by Mark Baker on April 9, 2021. It originally appeared in UpliftingToday.com and is used by permission.

Read more at UpliftingToday.com:
Piers Morgan Breaks His Silence After Sharon Osbourne Leaves ‘The Talk’ – An ‘Absolute Disgrace’
Queen Elizabeth Breaks Her Silence After Husband Prince Philip Dies At 99 – Enters Eight Days Of Mourning
Ghislaine Maxwell Humiliated As She’s Ordered To Clean Her Dirty And Smelly Prison Cell

The opinions expressed by contributors and/or content partners are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Conservative Business Journal. Contact us for guidelines on submitting your own commentary.